Whether you are taking automatic or manual driving lessons, studying for your driving test or have already passed your test all drivers should know about the changes to the Highway Code that come into force on 25th March 2022.
The changes relate to the use of handheld mobile devices while driving, previously it was illegal to text or call while driving, the law has now been extended and failure to comply could result in a hefty fine or six points on your licence.
From the 25th March 2022 it will be illegal to:
- Check the time, notifications, illuminate the phone screen or unlock the device
- Access the internet, apps, camera or sound recording facilities
- Draft any text/document
- Send or receive any content
- Access any stored information for example documents, photos, videos, notes or playlists
- Use your handheld mobile device while stationary at traffic lights or in traffic jams
Drivers are allowed to make a contactless payment using their mobile phone while stationary at a road toll or at a fast food drive through.